Foreign nationals can now apply for the Kenyan visa from the country’s Department of Immigration Services’ eCitizen portal. This announcement was made public by the Kenyan Department of Immigration Services on 24th June 2015.
Visitors to Kenya need to log on to the e-citizen website www.ecitizen.co.ke and register as a visitor. Once logged in, click on the Department of Immigration button and submit their application after which the applicant can select visa type and pay for the visa application fee using Visa Card, MasterCard or any other credit/debit card. An Approval email will be sent to the user and once printed, the e-visa (printout) can be presented to immigration officers at the port of entry. The e-visa portal became operational on July 02nd, 2015.
It is important to note that there is now a two month grace period whereby visas may still be purchased on arrival. This grace period expires on 31st August 2015.
Visitors are being advised by Kenya’s tourist office to register their application well in advance of travel as approvals may take up to seven days to process.
Effective 01st September 2015, visitors may be denied boarding of their flight to Kenya or denied entry to Kenya if they do not have a printed copy of their e-visa with them.
How to Apply for a Kenya Visa
- Visit the electronic visa page at http://www.ecitizen.go.ke
- Select Register and then Visitor
- As part of this process, you will receive a confirmation email that you need to click on to verify and confirm your registration
- At this point, you will be asked to UPLOAD A DIGITAL PASSPORT PHOTO (Maximum size 500 px by 500 px)
- Once logged in, select Department of Immigration Services
- Select Submit Application
- Select Kenyan Visa
- Select the type of visa (visitor) and read the instructions carefully
- Complete the application form – please note that incomplete applications will be rejected however you will lose your processing fees
- You will need a scan of the main page of your passport (with your name, date of birth and other information)
- You will need to re-upload your passport photo
- Pay using your Visa card, MasterCard or other debit card
- Await your approval which will be sent to you by email. This could take up to 7 days so give yourself plenty of time.
- Once you have received the email advising that your visa is approved, log back into your ecitizen account and download your visa.
- Print a copy of your visa to present to the immigration officer at your point of entry into Kenya